Are Calla Lilies Poisonous to Cats?

Calla lilies are a common type of lily that can be seen growing in gardens. They are also an excellent choice for growing in planters because of their compact size. It has colorful flowers that can be found in various hues and is quite simple and easy to maintain. Many people who own cats are curious about whether or not these plants are poisonous for their feline companions because of how popular they are.

Are Calla Lilies Poisonous to Cats?

Yes, these little plants are poisonous to kitties. This is because these plants have significant concentrations of calcium oxalate crystals that are not good for felines. If these crystals touch the sensitive/mucosal tissues in the body, they can cause inflammation and discomfort.

Keep reading to learn why these calla lilies are poisonous and how to identify a cat that ate them to keep your kitty safe.

What Are Calla Lilies?

The flowers of a calla lily, also known as an arum lily, are most frequently white; however, there are variations of this plant that produce flowers of other colours, such as yellow, orange, and red. The ideal conditions for growing calla lilies are damp to wet soil and either full sun or light shade. They are only considered moderately aquatic, although they can flourish around the edges of ponds and other types of water gardens.

Are Calla Lilies Poisonous to Cats?

Cats should not consume calla lilies as they are poisonous due to non-soluble calcium oxalates. In addition to calla lilies, other plants such as peace lilies, arrowheads, philodendrons, Chinese evergreens, and many more also contain these harmful calcium oxalates.

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Calla Lily Poisoning?

When your kitty nibbles on calla lilies or any other plants containing these toxic, non-soluble, and harmful calcium oxalates, the plant releases these tiny sharp crystals, instantly cutting into your cat’s mouth. This can cause serious health problems for your cat. In addition, these sharp crystals will go into the gastrointestinal tract due to their sharpness and cause damage to the tissue as they go.

If your kitty has consumed some calla lilies, the very first signs they may exhibit is discomfort/pain in their mouth, followed by excessive salivation. Many kitties may also begin scratching at their mouths and vomiting.

In severe cases, cats can suffer from upper respiratory tract inflammation leading to dyspnoea (difficult breathing). Additionally, your cat’s appetite may reduce till the mouth recovers.

Does Calla Lily Poisoning Cause Liver Damage?

No, there is no risk of the liver being damaged if your kitty consumes them. It is because they are not considered true lilies. True lilies, which are in the Liliaceae family, can lead to liver damage in cats. Calla lilies are in the family Araceae.

How to Treat Poisoning Caused by Calla Lilies?

The key to successfully treating calla lily poisoning is to act quickly, more specifically, during the first 18 hours after the intake of the flower. We must take our kitty to the veterinarian as soon as possible if we observe any of the signs or find a flower that has been chewed up. Furthermore, bringing the flower with us is usually a good idea if possible. This can assist the veterinarian in determining what they are dealing with as well as the severity of the condition.

The first step that the veterinarian will do is to induce vomiting or give the patient activated charcoal to interrupt the process of the animal’s body absorbing the poison. By doing this, the poison will leave the cat.

After 18 hours, a vet will likely deliver IV treatment. However, the veterinarian may also recommend nutritional treatment if the kitty has been throwing up a lot. A vet will also have to watch for signs of kidney failure while all of this is going on.

If they find that the cat has renal failure, then it is quite probable that they will have to keep the animal in the hospital for several days. Depending on the problem’s severity, it could have to remain there for a whole week.

Can a Calla Lily-poisoned Cat Recover?

Recovery duration and success rate depend on how fast calla lily poison was treated. We must follow our vet’s post-treatment instructions to get the finest outcomes. After we return from the veterinarian, we must ensure our cat has a comfy place to sleep that is also warm. If the cat ate the flower outside, we should keep it from going out until the problem is fixed.

If, on the other hand, the plant has made its way inside, we have no choice but to get rid of it as quickly as possible to stop this from occurring again. Before introducing any plant into the homes, we should always research it to ensure that it is not hazardous for our cats. This is a necessary safety precaution to take.

How can you keep Calla Lilies away from your cat?

If you think that you just cannot keep calla lilies away from your garden/home, there are some measures and safeguards that you can do to reduce the possibility of your kitty touching or ingesting this plant.

The first thing you can do is plant these decorative plants higher, beyond the reach of pets and children. Other than that, you can use some deter sprays. They keep your pets, especially kitties, away from the plant. Using deter sprays also keeps everyone safe from any potential injury.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest


Bringing your cat in for a vet visit can be a stressful experience for both you and your cat and that’s why we are committed to provide you with the answers …..



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *